Markets in Gran Canaria
Just like at home, there is also in Gran Canaria every day somewhere a public market. These markets are still warm and authentic, which makes of course the atmosphere. The prices in the market are often very inexpensive. On the typical tourist market is for handbags, shoes and other products sometimes recommended to offer.
Monday – market
– Puerto de Mogan – 09:00 to 14:30 – Plaza del Parking
– Vecindario – 08:00 to 14:00 – Calle Juan XXIII
Tuesday – market
– Arguineguin – 08:00 to 14:00 – Plaza Negro not far from the beach of Arguineguin
Calle Paco González. Crafts – Bedding – Plants and Flowers – Leather – Fruits, vegetables and local delicacies – Jewelry, clothing and footwear
Wednesday – market
– Vecindario – Plaza de San Rafael – 10:00 to 14:00 – One of the oldest public local markets on Gran Canaria. It is inexpensive and there are very pleasant. You still taste the true flavor of Gran Canaria here.
– San Fernando – On this cozy and sometimes very busy market in San Fernando is literally everything for sale. There is the covered meat and vegetable market, herbs, spices and other local products including many organic products are offered. In the outer court there are fruit stalls, clothing, shoes, handbags and many other items. Note the prices especially in clothing, shoes and handbags.
The sale prices starting very high and bargaining is certainly the message. Learning at home is already a little Spanish with a language course online or booklet is a tip to negotiate better with the seller. The market is accessible on foot from Playa les Ingles or Maspalomas but that is soon 60 minutes by steps.
There is during those days also a special bus they ride back and forth to the market from the coastal cities. The taxi is fot hat matter not so expensive. The market is on Wednesday and Saturday from 7 am to 13 pm. More info at your hotel.
Friday – market
Puerto de Mogan – 08.00 to 14.00 – On the marina of Puerto de Mogan. A very nice market in the center and the marina.
Saturday – markets
– Vecindario – 08:00 to 14:00 – Avda. Las Tirajanas
– Telde – 08:00 to 14:00 – Next to the bus station
– Arucas – 8:00 to 14:00 – Calle Alcalde Codorniú Rodríguez and Fernando Calle Ponce Caubin
– Santa Brigida – 08:00 to 20:00 – Centrum. It’s not a big market but charming
– San Fernando – 08.00 to 14.00 – The municipal market hall is where the market goes. Souvenirs, clothes (many fake), handbags, jewelry and toys. Inside the building there are food and artisan products. Flowers and plants, aloe vera products. Local produce and cheeses such as Queso de Flor known Gran Canaria ..
– San Mateo – San Mateo is one of the most traditional markets on the island, known for the freshest fruits and specialties of Gran Canaria. In the covered market in the center of San Mateo, Hours: Saturday, 8 am to 20 pm, Sunday from 8 to 14 hours.
– Santa Lucia – 09.00 to 14.00 – Next to City Hall
– Jinamar – 09.00 to 15.00 – At the entrance of the city
– San Fernando – 09.00 to 14.00 – (Flea Market / Flea) – Calle San Mateo
Located near the football stadium and skating rink. On the second hand market are average 260 exhibitors.
– San Fernando – 09.00 to 14.00 – Pista de patinaje.
Farmers market with fresh produce. (Two weekly)
– Valsequillo – 08.00 to 14.00 – Marketplace
– Valleseco – 08.00 to 14.00 – Market Hall
– Moya – 08.00 to 14.00 – At the bus station “Estación de Guaguas”
– Telde – 08.00 to 14.00 – Next to the church at the crossroads
– Ingenio – 08.00 to 14.00 – Carrizal
– San Bartolomé de Tirajana – Plaza de Santiago
– Las Palmas – Flea – 08.00 to 14.00 – Parque San Telmo (near the bus station and shopping Triana)
– Vegueta – 08.00 to 14.00 – Plaza del Pilar Nuevo ( Las Palmas ) – Many handcrafted items. This market does not go through during the months of July, August and September.
– Teror – The most traditional and one of the finest markets in the Canary Islands. The market is located around the Basilica of the Virgen del Pino, and offer all the specialties of the island, crafts and typical products of Gran Canaria. Opening hours: Sunday, 8 to 14 hours.
Every first Sunday of the month
– Tejeda – Terms of peasant and artisan or other market – Galindo
Markets in Las Palmas
The capital Las Palmas is ideally suited for shopping. In the city you can every day on the markets to use learning the customs and traditions of the locals. You will find all kinds of products and flavors. Feel the rhythm of this bustling capital of Gran Canaria. In Las Palmas you will find three major marketplaces like Mercado de Vegueta, Mercado Central and Mercado del Puerto.
The Mercado del Puerto de La Luz (map) is located on the harbor, at the end of Las Canteras near Castillo de la Luz. Here is a nice mix of friendly locals and tourists. The iron market building was built in 1891 and restored in 1994.
You will find meat, vegetables, fruit, flowers, but today in the modern Las Palmas is also a meeting point with a recreational and gastronomic atmosphere. Especially at night, the locals enjoy on the terraces with a glass of Canary wine and tapas. Here you can feel the vibrant Spain, an atmosphere to taste. Especially Friday seems that no one is home, but all on the market. Definitely recommended.
Annual Markets in Gran Canaria
Feria “Artesanía Genuina”
An annual craft fair. This bustling market place in 2014 to find the lighthouse of Maspalomas. 75 exhibitors welcome the locals and thousands of tourists. 26 participants have the status of crafts and craftsmanship.
Ceramics, leather, glass blowing, jewelry, decorative fabrics, etc. .. There are participants from the whole island of Gran Canaria. Moreover, there are certain days workshops.
When: until August 17, 2014
From 17:00 to 23:00
This list is updated regularly. All suggestions are welcome via the contact form